• 705-789-4571
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

HCC History

Special Thanks to Dennis Rolland for compiling our history!

 

1900 - 1929

The Founding of the Huntsville Curling Club: Before there were vehicles in Huntsville, when transportation was either by horse & buggy or by steam ships, when it was an eight hour stage coach trip from Bracebridge to Huntsville, when the major Huntsville industries were leather tanning and lumber mills, a public meeting was called at the Huntsville Courthouse to organize the membership for a Curling Club for Huntsville. 

 

The organizers were met with overwhelming enthusiasm. And so it was, on that date, Monday December 3, 1900, the Huntsville Curling Club was officially founded by it's first membership of citizens from Huntsville and the surrounding area.

 

The First Huntsville Curling Building

Long before this founding meeting, in the early fall of 1900, the new Curling Rink was in the course of construction at the southeast corner of Centre Street and Mary Street (directly behind and adjacent to the current Curling Club facility) under the skillful management of the energetic Mr. W. Blackburn. “The rinks will be completed in time for a lengthy season”, which in 1900 usually started on or about December 15 and lasted four months until on or about March 15. 

 

Mr. W. Blackburn proudly announced “the rinks will be constructed on a scale to be equal the best rinks in the district!” Mr. And Mrs. C.O. Shaw, who were building the the Anglo-Canadian Leather Company, often referred to as the Tannery, were the Huntsville Curling Club Patron & Patroness. 

 

In the fall of 1901,  the second year of operation of the Curling Rinks, the Huntsville Forester reported “Mr Wm. Blackburn, proprietor of the Huntsville Curling Rink, is making preparation for this seasons curl. He has had considerable earth removed from the floor of the large building and will replace it with sawdust, which, he hopes. Will prevent the heaving of the ice.”

 

The First Huntsville Club Organization: At the December 3, 1900 meeting, which was chaired by the Reverend A. MacVicar with Mr. Mathews as the secretary, it was decided that a committee of four, Messers Mathews, Butchart, George Walton and S. A. Hutchinson be appointed to gather information, solicit members who would be particularly interested, and hoping for a goodly number of both young and old, to assist with the organization. They were successful. The first Huntsville Curling Club officers were:

Patron .............................................................. Mr C.O. Shaw

Partoness ......................................................... Mrs C.O. Shaw

President........................................................... E.S. Anderson

Vice-President................................................... H.S. May

Secretary-Treasurer ......................................... George Walton

Chaplain ........................................................... Reverend A. MacVicar

Executive Committee......................................... E.S Anderson, Andrew Laidlaw, W.H. Steinhoff, S.A. Hutchinson

Skips.................................................................. Messrs. Laidlaw, Steinhoff, Weiler, Barber

Honorary Members............................................ S. Bridgeland MPP, George McCormick MP, R.J Watson Esquire



The First Annual Huntsville Curling Club Banquet and Annual General Meeting.

That first curling season, 1900-1901, was celebrated on April 11, 1901 at the Pym's Hotel in Huntsville.

 The dinner was an elaborate affair, remember it was horse and buggy times. The menu for the banquet was exquisite. They were served a first course of Oysters, a second course of Broiled Salmon with Egg Sauce, a third course of Roast Turkey with Cranberry Sauce, Chicken with Currant Jelly, Sirloin of Beef with Brown Potatoes, Spring Lamb with Mint Sauce, Fillet of Veal with Dressing, all with choices of Mashed Potatoes, French Fries or Scalloped Potatoes, followed by Lobster Salad, Celery, Lettuce, Green Onions and Olives. Dessert was Cream Puffs with Wine Jelly and Vanilla Ice Cream or sorted cakes Walnut, Coconut, Chocolate, Plum Pudding with Brandy Sauce, Lemon Pie, Apple Pie and Raisin Pie. An assortment of fruits, London Layers, Figs, Florida Oranges, Bananas, Apples, Filberts, Almonds, Walnuts, Tea and Coffee concluded the feast.

 

At this banquet and meeting, political speeches and music was a large portion of the programme with, among others, C. W. Waterhouse, who had recently converted his Penn Lake farmhouse into a lodge he called Deerhurst, who sang a solo.

 

The Huntsville Curling Club sponsors, the "Mercantile Institutions", C.O Shaw, W. Turnbull, J.W. Wright, William Wright, Captain George Marsh, and Alf E. Callahan, were honored by a solo and chorus of music titled "Good Old Jeff".

 

The first Huntsville Curling Club Championship Medals were handed out.

The meeting concluded with the singing of "Should Auld Acquaintance be Forgot".

 

Of Interest: The first Annual Banquet and Annual General Meeting was covered by "The Press" Mr H.S. Rice who owned the Huntsville Forester. The Huntsville Forester continued to be run by the Rice family until just a few years ago, when the Great, Great Granddaughter of H. S. Rice, Liz Rice, sold the paper to Metroland Media and then she founded the Huntsville Doppler. The Rice family has been reporting on the Huntsville Curling Club since 1900!

 

Note: The programme clearly warned that "Five Minutes only, will be allowed for speakers, when a bell will sound. Anyone speaking too long may be shot on site. Attendees were to report to the secretary before 6pm on the 11 of April, 1900, for pistols and ammunition.

 

Of interest: The Huntsville Curling Club's main Parton's Mr and Mrs C.O Shaw and another founding father, Captain George Marsh. Captain Marsh had plans in place to build a railway from Penn Lake North Portage to South Portage on Lake of Bays. He died before realizing this dream. At that time, C.O. Shaw, our Patron, took over the Huntsville Steamship Navigation Company, completed the railway from North Portage to South Portage, put steamships on Lake of Bays, carried summer passengers on the Portage Flyer to the resorts of Lake of Bays, purchased Bigwin Island and built the Bigwin Resort.

 

The Huntsville Curling Club Logo / Crest

In 1903, the HCC designed its first and only logo. If you look closely, you will see 1903 marked on the logo’s curling stone. This crest has always been our club crest, and always will. 

 The Huntsville Curling Club employed a manager of the facility by the name of Alex Corbett. Over the next decades, many curling games were played at this building by both men and women, in particular, two skips named Mr Cook and Mr McLaughlin, who always drew spectators and speculation as to who would win the weeks matchup in the early 1900's. Aside from curling, there are several accounts of the Curling Rink building being used for political meetings, concerts by a fellow named Jim Fax, and once a week long engagement in May of 1903, by Australian Entertainers.

 

On March 20, 1919, Mr W.A. Moore, the secretary of the Huntsville Curling Club, was given a handsome gold watch. The presentation gave Mr Moore credit for much of the success of the club during the First World War years as he was always alert in promoting the clubs best interests. Mr Moore was moved to North Bay by his employer.

 

Our Second Curling Rink Plan: We know this first Huntsville Curling Club structure lasted for 30 years. On October 24, 1929, a Citizens Committee had completed canvassing several sites for a new Huntsville Curling Club rink. The committee had decided on a dual purpose facility be built combining curling and skating under one roof. The estimate to build was between $11,000 to $15,000. The funding plan was decided to be shares sold at $10 each permitting subscription widely distributed among the citizens of Huntsville and the surrounding areas. The Citizens Committee had decided on a location, a dual purpose design, a cost to build with a financial plan. It was decided to present the plan to at a public meeting in one weeks time, since quick action will be necessary if the rink is to be ready for the present winter. It was October 24, 1929, the meeting planned for one week away would have been October 31, 1929. The stock market crashed on October 29, 1929. Our Curling Club closed its doors and the building quickly fell into disrepair.

 

The Establishment of the Huntsville Curling Club 1937 - 1940

 On February 18, 1937, after 8 years of no Curling in Huntsville, Alan White organized a meeting meeting to see how many citizens are interested in curling once again. There was great interest. Over the course of several meetings in the spring of 1937, a Board of Directors was elected:

President Allan T. White

Vice President C.A. Booth

Secretary George F. Hutchinson

Committee members Leo Rogers, William Stephenson, Dr. J.P. Davies, Ran Jupp

 

In 1937, the President, Vice President and Secretary, were authorized by the members to arrange for "plans and specifications" of a new rink. The group completed the blueprints and plans for construction. Before the year of 1937 ended, members collected $2,100.00 towards the cost of building estimated at $4,500.00. The group secured an "option" with the town to build on the original site of the 1900 – 1929 Curling Club situated on the south east corner of Centre Street and Mary Street. It was anticipated that the club will have approximately 50 members. There was much excitement. The Huntsville Forester editorial read "The Organization of a Curling Club in Huntsville will provide citizens with an opportunity to enjoy one of winter's greatest pastimes."

For the next four years, the organizing committee worked diligently with the town, without success, to secure a site to erect the new curling rink. During this time the Second World War began in 1939.

With the outbreak of the war, the town's arena was underutilized. The town invitation to the Curling Club was to be a shared tenant of the arena, to rent ice time. It was December 4, 1940. The Curling Club was allotted two time slots on Thursday Afternoon & Evening at the covered arena. In 1940 the Huntsville Curling Club Established themselves as a member of the Ontario Curling Association, 40 years after it was founded in 1900 by C.O. Shaw.

 The newly elected 1940 Board of Directors were:

J. H. Thompson, R. Underhill, A. Boyd, P. Braund O. Knight

H. E. Rice (editor of the Huntsville Forester), F. Hubbell, S. Forsythe

A. White (President of the 1937 club),G. Hutcheson, A. Hutcheson (Mayor Elect in 1940)

G. E. Boice – Secretary, J. H. Thornton

In the spring 1941, after curling an inaugural curling season at the arena, the Curling Club held their banquet. The members, grateful to once again curl, however, expressed their hopes to the Board of Directors, to have their own rink by this time next year.

 

The Curling Club Elected the 1941 Board of Directors.

President George Hutcheson

Vice President Allan White

Secretary Treasurer

Membership P. Braund

Ray Moore

Ed Parker

Bert Horton

Don Reynolds

R. Underhill

Sam Forsythe

A. Kellock

 

The club had 64 members enrolled in December 1941 and arranged rental space at the arena with the town for two time slots on Tuesday & Thursday evenings.

In the spring of 1942, the new Board of Directors was elected. Newly elected President Ran Jupp reported the possible acquisition of a property on Main Street for the new club.

President Ran Jupp (Jupp Motors - Ford)

Vice President Art Hutcheson

Secretary Treasurer Ray Morris

In October of 1942, the Huntsville Curling Club completed the purchase of the Fred Hanes property on Main Street. The intention was to use the house as a club house and to construct a rink in behind. There was no plans to start construction until after the war ends. This property was ideally situated next to the "Huntsville Club". This site, the Hanes property, comprised two lots which extended from Main Street to Caroline Street West, and is now the site of the Huntsville Capitol Theatre.

 

On December 17, 1942, the HCC was given two options by the town.

  1. Four time slots - $320.00 – Tuesday & Wednesday & Thursday evening and Thursday Afternoon
  2. Three time slots - $240 – Tuesday night, Thursday afternoon and evening.

 

At the 1943 spring banquet at the Dominion Hotel, the members heard a satisfactory report showing a surplus in the treasury and the new rink fund in satisfactory shape. It is the intention to pay off the balance on the Hanes property, where after the war, a new rink will be built.

 

The members elected a new Board of Directors for 1943:

Honorary Presidents Stephen Furniss, M.P. ;J.F. Kelly, M.P.P.; J.W. White; Col D.M. Grant; W.E. Blackborne; H.E. Rice (editor of the Huntsville Forester)

President Les Boucher

Vice President Jim Lumby

Secretary Treasure Ray Morris

Finance Committee Ran Jupp, J. Lumby, G. Hutcheson, C. Booth, C. Ego

Auditors J. Nickolas & H.G. Mulhern

 

For the 1943 winter, the town gave the Curling Club 3 ½ time slots a week. Tuesday Evening and Thursday afternoon and Thursday evening (3:00 pm & 5:00 pm) and every other Wednesday evening. Since the arena had natural ice, the curling seasons typically began as late as early in January.

 

In December of 1943, the club held a meeting and elected the 1944 Board.

Honorary President Stephen Furniss M.P.

Honorary Vice Presidents: J. Frank Kelly, M.P.P; Mayor H.E. Rice; Col D.M. Grant K.C.; J.W. White; W.C. Blackburn 

President Les Boucher, Vice President Jas Lumby, Secretary Treasure Ray Morris

 

The 1944 Board adopted the new "Draw" system as used by the historic Hamilton Thistle Club. Also reported to the members was a summary of plans for the new, long awaited rink. The club now has the plans for an up to date Curling rink to be built on the Main Street property after the war. The location is considered ideal allowing the Hanes house, the future Curling Club House to be shared with the nearby Huntsville Club, Lawn Bowling Club and Tennis Club. The December 23, 1943 Forrester reports "This, of course, is a proposal for the future."

The 1944 Huntsville Curling Club had 80 members making scheduling the teams into the allocated times a concern.

 

In December 1945, the war had ended and soldiers were returning home to Huntsville. The 1946 Board was elected.

President Les Boucher, Vice President Roland Tipper, Secretary Treasurer Ray Morris

Chaplain Rev. Frank Milligan

In addition to the Board, eight committees were formed:

Executive Committee Peter Braund, Wilf Bice, George Hutcheson

Finance Committee Charles Booth, Charles Grig, Art Hutcheson

Membership Committee Wilf Beely, Sid Avery, Wilf Bice

Ice and Rink Committee Pat Brothers, Bill Markle, Harold Robinson

Bonspiel Committee Gerhart, Pete Braund, Ran Jupp

Rules Committee Allan White, Ernest Ingleby, Charles Ego

Entertainment Committee Bert Horton, Reg Parrott Bruce Galbraith

The 1946 season started on Boxing day 1945 with good ice and a membership of 100. The January 9, 1946 Huntsville Forester reported "The season promises to be a particularly active one. Huntsville has become Curling conscious, and the schedule already prepared and started, has enlivened interest which promises to gain momentum as the season progresses."

 

At the January 16, 1946 town council meeting the Curling Club was advised, by motion, that Council would welcome action for a new curling rink before next winter as "the Municipal Arena is overcrowded, and it is felt that the youth of the town are not getting the hours they require for skating and hockey."

 

On March 13, 1947, HCC was in town Council. Messrs Jupp, Boucher and Braund, were seeking cooperation from the town in the selection of a site for the proposed new Curling rink. The Town took no action on the request.

 

On May 1, 1947, the HCC held its annual banquet. The discussion focused on the proposed new Curling rink. The HCC board invited W.E. McMurray, Secretary of the OCA, and A.R. McConnell, a specialist in "freezing plants" to give the members sound advice on the question of the proposed construction.

"The club did not reach a definite decision but following much discussion, it was agreed that Mr McConnell would prepare relative data on the matter and place it in the hands of the Curling Club Executive, where it would be carefully studied, after which the Club will again be called and a decision reached. It is proposed first, to have the present Arena ice combined with a curling rink to be constructed, and an artificial ice plant be installed to serve both rinks. The second proposal is will be the erection of a separate curling rink. General opinion favors the combined proposal.

In any event, it was made clear that if a decision was made, one way or the other, the probability was that the necessary materials for completion of the rink might delay the project until 1948."

 

On November 27, 1947 the HCC met at the Council Chambers for the annual meeting to elect the 1947-48 Board.

Honorary President Les Boucher

President Donald Lough

1st VP Charles Booth

2nd VP Harry Hutcheson

3rd VP Wilfred Bice

Secretary Treasurer Ray Morris

Executive Preston Gerhart,; Chester Grigg, ; D. Mulhern;

Membership Committee W. Beelby; B. Paul; B. Head;

Finance Committee George Hutcheson; Ted Braund; Frank Rogers;

Building Committee Ran Jupp; Preston Gerhart; Allan White; A. Hutcheson

Ice and Rink N. Raciot; V. Woodcock; P. Brothers

Games & Bonspiels P. Braund; G. Leverton; Ivan Knight;

 

The Second Huntsville Curling Club building.

Before construction began, however, the Department of Northern Development property on the northeast corner of Lansdowne and Centre Street became available. The club sold the Hanes property and purchased the Northern Development parcel in November of 1947. 

 

On January 8, 1948 the Huntsville Forester headline read "Curling Rink Officially Opened."

"On January 1, 1948, the modern curling rink of the Huntsville Curling Club was officially opened. The Curling Club was organized 6 years ago, in 1942 by George Boice, the first President (Dennis' note – not correct - founded in 1900, OCA established in 1940). Through the cooperation of the municipal council of that date, it was made possible to utilize the Arena two nights a week. This practice has been followed through the past six years." (Dennis' note - not correct? – HCC was given an invitation by council to rent the Arena on December 4, 1940 which is 7 years ago when George Boise was HCC Secretary).

 

On New Year's Day, January 1, 1948, at 2:00 O'Clock, President Don Lough assembled the members of the club in the "Club" room. He expressed his sincere thanks to all who had so generously contributed time and material to make possible a curling rink "for the town". (Dennis note – The HCC built a Curling Rink for the town, the town did not build a curling rink for HCC).

Mr Lough introduced Mr Boucher, who had been President of the club for the past three years to officially open the rink. Mr Boucher expressed his pleasure to be honoured by the club to officially open the new rink. In less than a month since the property was secured from the Department of Highways, the building has been transformed into a modern curling rink. The future of the club is secure. Mr Boucher presented Mr Lough the deed to the property and threw the first stone down the ice.

This two sheet wooden structure, built by the members, without an artificial ice plant was located on our current site, the northeast corner of Lansdowne and Centre Street. 

.

In the January 8, 1948 Forrester, Eaton's ran an ad advertising "Men's Curling Sweaters – a sturdily constructed sweater made of all wool, in the large but neat looking jumbo stitch. Full button front, large collar and two pockets. Available in colours of sand and white."$12.98."

 That first year in their own rink, the winter of 1948, was a financial challenge for the board. The Huntsville Forester reported "Curling Club Seeks New Subscriptions. An appeal is being made to the members of the Huntsville Curling Club for additional aid of the Club Building Fund.

When the Main Street property, now the site of the Capitol Theatre, was purchased, the money was raised by private subscriptions, and from the surplus in the clubs hands, from club operations. This sum, however, was not fully sufficient to meet the entire cost of the property.

The property has been sold and the Highways property on northeast corner of  Lansdowne St. and Centre Street "purchased (by HCC)". Since the new property was acquired, considerable additional money has been needed to meet the alteration costs. In all, something over $4,000.00 is needed.

Members are asked to supplement their original subscriptions and the appeal is extended to the public interested in the establishment of a well equipped and adequately organized Curling Club in Huntsville.

The new building in which the Curling Club is curling this winter, promises to be a great convenience because of its location, and in addition, its appointments offer to the members comfort heretofore unavailable. It is desired to add to the furnishings of the commodious lounge, which is a feature of great value at the new premises.

The members are asked to respond promptly and liberally. Those of the public who appreciate the value of such a Club in Huntsville are asked to join with the members in sustaining this appeal.

 

At the April 1948 Annual Meeting the members elected the board for the 1949 Curling season

President Donald Lough

1st VP Charles Booth

2nd VP Harry Hutcheson

3rd VP Wilfred Bice

Secretary Treasurer Ray Morris

Executive Preston Gerhart; J. Moorehead; D. Mulhern;

 

On October 28, 1948, the Secretary Treasurer announced that he was very sorry to to inform that the membership for the 1949 season is closed. "We have a total of 112 members which is actually more than we can handle at our rink. We do have a waiting list though, and it is our intention to improve our clubhouse and the facilities there."

At the April 21, 1949 Annual meeting, a new President was elected by the membership, Charles Booth. The membership had several suggestions in regards to the extension of the curling facilities now available at the club house, and the new executive was authorized to plan and decide what measures should be taken to provide more and better facilities.

 

1949-50 Board

President Charles Booth (picture in Forrester April 29, 1949)

1st Vice President H. Hutcheson

2nd Vice President W. Bice

Secretary Peter Braund

Treasurer C. Cherrier

Ice & Rink Committee Chair A. Brothers

Entertainment Committee Chair N. Raciot

Finance Chair J. Lumby

 

In the November 24, 1949 Forrester editorial section, a curling enthusiast who curls at the Toronto High Park Club wrote "I had occasion to visit last winter at the time of your Bonspiel and was very much disappointed. To my mind a town like Huntsville is entitled to something better.

May I make a suggestion? Most of the small towns and hamlets south of Huntsville are campaigning for artificial ice. Arenas are getting them. I think, Mr. Editor, through your paper, a campaign for Hockey Arena facilities and a new curling rink, with facilities being located at the same property as the present arena, with artificial ice plant that could supply both purposes.

Now Mr. Editor, no doubt you think I am probably a little too critical, but might say I am only suggesting some constructive criticism and believe me, I think a town that is coming ahead like Huntsville is surely entitled to something better in a sports line."

 

It's interesting that the writer to the editor writes the Town of Huntsville is entitled to "something better" when it was the HCC members who acquired and paid for the land, built and financed and went into debt to finally build a facility, after 20 years of not having a curling facility of their own and being tenants of the Arena for the past decade. The efforts to date, to get HCC into their own facility , were 100% HCC driven and accomplished. Yes it was a two sheet facility with natural ice, but it was ours and we built it with pride.

The Establishment of the Huntsville Curling Ladies Club 1949-50

In December of 1949, Mrs. Levinson, called for ladies who are interested in forming a "Ladies Curling Club." Ladies at the Huntsville Curling Club organized in 1949-50 season with 36 charter members. An experienced curler,, Mossie Leverton, was instrumental in forming the club and she became the first president. Mr Don Lough presented to the ladies individual silver rose bowls. These bowls may be found in homes or estates of many curlers ... won from 1950 – 1976.

 

The Huntsville Curling Club Fire of February 1951

Tragedy struck in 1951, when the Huntsville Curling Club burned to the ground at only. The members waited 20 years for their facility, only to witness it burn down after 3 years standing. Many privately owned rocks were lost at the time. 

 

The Third Huntsville Curling Club Building 

HCC Volunteers helped in building a new rink for the 1951 – 52 season. The building was a cement block two story with a quonset type covering over 4 sheets of natural ice built in the same location at the northeast corner of Lansdowne Street and Centre Street. 

 

The ladies held their first HCC Ladies Bonspiel early in 1952. The pride in their new club dwindled during the afternoon of the bonspiel, the weather turned so mild the ice surface was covered with water. However, the curlers of HCC were so enthusiastic, they still played their last game. It is said, for a change into dry clothing, and I am certain for lots of fun, a North Bay rink showed up for their final game wearing their pajamas.

For a number of years, the kitchen was operated by the ladies and through proceeds matched rocks were purchased, along with kitchen equipment, a stereo system, dishes and cutlery.

A Charter member of the club, Marjorie Ireland was responsible for a Club Trophy being donated in 1950 from the Russ Ireland Jewelers, which was competed for until 1978.

 

The Collapse of the Quonset Roof

 In 1972, it is said, the Quonset Roof over the ice surface, had a significant amount of snow load.  It was decided to relieve the snow load by having the Huntsville Fire Department hose down the snow to wash it from the roof. This caused the Quonset Roof structure to completely collapse destroying the roof and Centre Street scoreboard wall. 

No interest loans, fundraising, donations and many volunteer hours provided the funding to erect the roof structure of today (2019). The back wall scoreboards were donated by Schneider Meats. The widely known Schneider Meats “Dutch Girl” logo was all that was needed to identify the sponsor. 

 

Milestones

1900 - Huntsville Curling Club First Building  – 2 sheets covered built by Wm. Blackburn and Patron C.O. Shaw on the property at the southeast corner of Lansdowne Street and Centre Street.

1929 Depression closes club

1937 Club reforms

1939 – 1945 WWII

1940 Club fills underutilized arena two days a week for curling

1940-49 Club begins curling at Municipal Arena

1940 Club Joins OCA

1942 Club purchases Hanes Property on Main Street (Capitol Theatre site)

1946-48 Hockey and Skating increasingly compete for ice time at arena – HCC forced out

1948 Club tries to negotiate with town for original curling site without success

1948 Club appeals to town to aid in selecting a site when the war was over and the Arena no longer had ice time for curlers

1948 Huntsville Curling Club Second Building.  2 sheets built at the northeast corner of Lansdowne Street and Centre Street after Department of Highways vacated the site.

1951 Fire

1951 Huntsville Curling Club Third Building. 4 sheets with quonset covering – Block building constructed for clubhouse located at the northeast corner of Lansdowne Street and Centre Street.

1953 1st Artificial Ice Plant Installed

1972 the Quonset Hut succumbed to a heavy snowstorm and was replaced with the building of today. No Interest loans, donations and many volunteer hours of labour provided the funding to erect a new structure over the ice surface (the current structure today).

1980/81 The club room and kitchen were enlarged (from the exterior, the addition is the red brick part of the building), a new locker room established and the the second  ice plant installed and the ice floor was upgraded from sand to concrete at a mortgaged cost of $80,000.00. By the mid 1980’s the club continued to face financial problems and low membership and almost folded. Mayor Hugh McKenzie and MPP Frank Miller obtained a substantial grant, $30,000.00 from the province to meet additional expenses. 

In the mid 1990's a committee was created to relocate the club. The initiative was blocked by town council

1994 the town withdrew all support for the curling club including the termination of the provision to provide the arena ice maker to the curling club

2010 the HCC failed in its bid to have the town make G8 funds available for relocating the club

2012 a sustainability committee was formed with a 5 year term to determine a plan – Plan a. maintain the present facility or Plan b. relocate with a new facility

2016 3rd ice plant installed

2017 5 year sustainability term expires – AGM presentation by consultant, recommendation to build a new club at McCully Robertson Site

2018 BOD undertakes further due diligence; construction costs are in the several millions. BOD decides to re-open the 2012 sustainability plan and compare renovating the current site to building a new club.

2019 BOD decides to renovate existing HCC facility

Membership through the years:

1937 – 50

1940 – 40

1941 – 60

1941 – 64

1943 – 75

1944 – 80

1946 – 100

1948 – 86

1949 - 112



Town Interactions & Results underlined


















Member Login

Upcoming Events

6 Week Learn to Curl - Sundays 12:30-2:00pm

Sun, 10-25-2020 12:30 pm - Sun, 11-29-2020 2:00 pm

6 Week Learn to Curl - Sundays 3-4:30pm

Sun, 10-25-2020 3:00 pm - Sun, 11-29-2020 4:30 pm

League Schedules

League schedules, teams and results can all be found in the members section of the website once you LOGIN.

Thanks to Our Sponsors

crest

Contact Info

6 Veterans Way
Huntsville, Ontario
P1H 1V9


Phone: 705-789-4571

Email Us

The Huntsville Curling Club is a proud recipient of an Ontario Trillium Grant as well as an Ontario Sports and Recreation Community Fund Grant.

ontario trillium grantTril Vert KO

 

© 2020 Huntsville Curling Club. All Rights Reserved. | Curling Club Management System and Website by CurlingClubManager.com